Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Autumn Layers, 40s Style




Oh autumn. The falling of the leaves and the coming chill in the air is only  hint of what is to come, yes? And, by this time gone are the light sheers and dainty cottons and here to stay awhile are warm wools, comfortable knits, and stunning tailored suits and coats. For me, fall vintage wear is my favorite as it incorporates all of my favorite colors and kinds of clothes (coats, suits, and sweaters).

The Coat
Today, I offer to you a 40s look with all separates and layers. On the outside, a tan coat and one of my most staple pieces. Under that, a suit in a neutral tan with hints of cream, baby blue, cherry red and dark black or brown. Beneath that even more, a new to me vintage knit sweater. Personally, I do not know my knits well enough to say what decade this was made but to me I get a good 40s vibe.


I think this sweater may be my new favorite item as it is soft, charming, and I love the little diamonds, collar, and buttons. I found it for a steal because there were some rather sad holes in it. Thankfully, I stitched them back up and problem solved! This sweater is a great example of looking for 'wounded birds' to get nice vintage for low prices. Often, there is great reward from little work in these pieces but I will admit I have gotten my nose bumped before. . .But this is not one of those times here. For me, since I cannot knit and really don't think I have the skills for it, I buy my knit wear. That often means a great deal of hunting and even more waiting but in the end it is worth it.
The Suit
The Sweater Underneath
Here, I omitted a hat because my hair turned out great! don't you think so? I did small rolls on the one side, a twist on the other and secured my down curls at the back with a fine hairnet. I think it worked out beautifully. I think what helped me achieve this hair style was the setting lotion I used (there will be a product review coming soon . . .).
This is one of my go to looks for a warm and easy 40s style. Between the suit and coat, I am kept quite warm on a comfortable level and this I think is such a period, easy look.  . .Although it does help when you are using all original vintage too . .  . Oh yes, and my fall pin with little leaves and acorns. . .I have a nice collection of autumn inspired jewelry and this is just one of them. I love the bright colors of this one and it worked best with this suit. . .