Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A Black Wool Dress . . and a Furry Friend Too



Today was another beautiful fall day and another opportunity to wear another Lutterloh make, this time from my 1942 supplement. Today was also another opportunity to bust out my fur collection. First, the coat and fur. I love this coat, and have worn it many  times already. Since there is already a chill in the air, an extra barrier is welcomed. To accessorize this classically simple coat, I choose a brown felt hat (a Chicago find), brown leather gloves, and Popeye, my furry friend. Why Popeye you ask? Because he only has one eye.  . . .Now what you have been waiting for . . .The dress!
This dress was super easy to make and is actually one of my earliest makes. The body is very easy to make, comfortable, and easy to wear too. This dress, since it is in black, is easy to accessorize too. For this particular dress, the upper body is gathered into the bias band neckline and a shaped lower body yoke. The skirt is gathered in the center front only and then gently at the back. Very simple, yes? Like said in the title, I made this out of a black wool for the fall and winter because I needed more vintage pieces meant for colder weather. 
To close the neck and the tight sleeves, I chose some black and silver antique buttons. These worked out very well because I needed three of them and guess how many buttons there were? . . . .Three. Below, one of the buttons. Aren't they grand?

To complete this look, I chose a simple double strand of pearls and my silver acorn/ leaf screw back earrings.  Shoe wise, a simple leather brogue and cream tights that mimic winter stockings.

Below, the original illustration: