Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A Night at the Amway Grand



1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

To celebrate my birthday, my Mum and Aunt generously organized a wonderful day and evening starting with some antiquing and shopping, ending with a grand dinner at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel and a dinner at Cygnus. This was also a grand opportunity to take some pictures of my latest Lutterloh make, a full length evening gown.
1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make


What a wonderful time I had celebrating my birthday at the Amway Grand Hotel and at Cygnus with my Aunt, Mum, and Sister. To start the day we did a little antiquing and shopping where I picked up some smashing vintage printed towels, a deco nail file, and some other small items. I even had the opportunity to test some truly gorgeous radios from the 30s and 40s. Yes they worked but I did not take one home . . . still looking and thinking. After shopping, we headed over to the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel to get ready for a grand dinner at Cygnus where we had a stunning view of all the city and remaining holiday lights. How beautiful.
1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

The dinner was spectacular and the dessert sweet (of course). I even went home with a little chocolate truffle gift bag from the restaurant for my birthday (and they were yummy). After dinner, I had to take advantage of the stunning lobby of the hotel all in its deco and Victorian inspired holiday finery.






1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make

The shimmering chandeliers, towering mirrors, and climbing staircases made for an all too perfect stage for some pictures of my latest Lutterloh made from 1941, yes?  
1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make


I loved this gown and this is actually the second time I made it. The first time I made it, it was in green satin shantung and there were some flaws. This time I corrected them  . . . .although it took me a year to do so. To do this one right, it took me almost a whole year to gather all the right materials including material, the buttons, the accessories, and all the little things. . . . .

Below, the original illustration:
1940s evening wear, Lutterloh make


For my version, I chose a deep pink purple super fine and soft silk duponi. The buttons at the front were silver and black buttons with sparkle rhinestone centers. Compared to the first attempt, I heightened the neckline, added a train, and did a side zip instead of a center back one. Some changed I made to the original pattern on the first attempt and continued to this one were the omission of the tulle appliqued flowers, I scaled down the size of the sleeves, and added a gathered neckline (the original shows a smooth neckline).
Oh did I have so much fun! By far the best birthday celebration I have ever had. The scenery stunning, the food delightful, and the company the best by far.