Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Of Navy and Orange . . . and Some New Treasures Too





Last time, I posted about my orange/ rust waist coat and today I offer the matching skirt. This was a really easy project and came together in less than a day. From 1941, this skirt is a nice simple pattern and a good wardrobe foundation piece too.
The Original Illustration is in the Upper Left Corner

I think what sets this skirt apart is the center tuck which I pressed open to form an inverted box pleat. The skirt closes up with a metal side zip and snaps at the waistline. For the hem, I finished it with rayon hem tape and hand stitched it. So far, it has worn well and has gone with many things. The texture of the linen is a nice addition too. Although it wrinkles rather badly, it feels lovely.


Paired with this piece, I chose a plain white blouse. Also with it, my navy blue sweater. I am in love with this pairing right now: navy and orange. It has a nice pop to it and it is a little unusual as well too. Overall, a nice, simple, casual outfit. With it too, my tan wool coat and navy hat. For a little embellishment, I wore an antique mosaic pin. I picked this pin up a few years ago when I was really into collecting 19th century pieces and this is a nice original piece. How do I know it is original? The C clasp back and the fact that the pieces are glass are good indicators.


Since it’s still a touch chilly out, I chose not to wear stockings. Instead I chose to wear a pair of original knee high stockings from War’s End Shop. I thought the brown was a nice addition to my color palate of orange, navy, and white. These really are a nice alternative to stockings although they are too thick to war with my nice pumps and I have not yet figured out how to keep them up smoothly. I think I could extend my garters to my knees but I really don’t want to do that . . . . .

When I wore this outfit, my mum and I attended a blueberry meeting to prepare us for the coming season and of course we needed to do some antiquing afterwards to recuperate. As interesting and informative as these meetings are they are terribly dull. As a result, I came home with a new hat (which I love), a new pair of fun fruity earrings, a necklace, hair comb and some buttons. After paging through so many period magazines and looking at period images, I have felt the need to acquire some colorful beaded necklaces. . . so I got black to start. Creative and bold, yes? Well I thought it was a good start. Besides, black goes with so much really. As for the fruity earrings, they really grew on me since I last saw them. When I saw them again I knew that they had, just HAD to be mine. My mum was a little shocked that I chose them . . .out of all the possible pairs I could have chosen. Oh the hat. I loved this little straw confection almost immediately. I figured the color would go with almost everything and the leaves had that nice earth touch I love. The netting was nice too although a touch tattered . . . I like to think of it as character. There will be many outfits it will wear well with but I could always make a few too. Oh, and my hair comb. I started to collect these years ago and still do on occasion. Nice pieces to dress up done up hair really. Just stick them in and done. They come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and even colorings. Hmmm, I may have to make a post just for them someday.



Buttons, buttons everywhere but not a one will do. That is how I feel right now but I hope my new ones will fill the void. Last year, I started a nifty cropped, flared jacket from a 1941 Lutterloh pattern but have yet to finish it. Hopefully these buttons will be my missing pieces to get it done. I also have to sew in one more sleeve lining and hem it. Right now I am leaning towards the larger of the two but I purchased both pairs just in case. What I don’t use now I will certainly use later. OHHHH . . . .it’s those little things that take the longest . . . .