Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A Gingham Suit Dress


Original 1940s Suits Fashion




I found this gem of a suit in Chicago while on a girl’s trip with family. I was thrilled to take it home because it was a nice addition to my wardrobe with it being a cotton or rayon gingham fabric suit dress with velvet ribbon trim. I loved the short sleeves, the charming neckline, the lightness of the fabric, and unique trimming. Overall, it is a sweet suit ideal for the summer heat.

Original 1940s Suits Fashion
One of the things that really attracted me to this suit was that it felt like any cotton gingham, rather unusual really for suit like garments. Added to this was the rich velvet trimming along the hem and neckline. The neckline too was particularly special and was also a way for me to date this garment too. Based on period magazines and ads, I think this is from 1944, or 1945. This deep sharp “V” began to show up around that time and was very fashion forward. Other than the neckline, the bodice is constructed with princess seams, there is no lining but a facing. The buttons are fabric covered ones in the same fabric as the suit. The skirt is an A lined pencil skirt with a back vent. It closes with a metal side zip and button at the waist line.

Original 1940s Suits Fashion
Once I took the suit home, I began to look at it much closer and began to see that it was indeed an unworn suit, like the woman who I bought it from had said. The woman claimed too that the suit originally belonged to a Sears fit model . . . I should mention too that this is a Kerrybrook suit too! That was very exciting because I had seen Kerrybrook suits and clothes advertised in Sears before.

Original 1940s Suits Fashion
I chose to wear with this suit simple pearl jewelry, a 30s flower pin and my brown cobra snake pumps, originals too. For the hat, it is a felt one form the 40s and that too I found in Chicago. I actually found it form the same booth as the suit.  I chose dark brown accessories for this outfit because I wanted to enhance the darkness of the velvet trimming. To balance that out, I went lighter colored jewelry. Hopefully, I will wear this suit many more times so I can play with different colored accessories such as creams, reds, and maybe even navy . . .or green? Since this is a mid- 40s suit, I decided to wear seamless stockings which were just coming into fashion in 1944 based on period magazine ads.

Original 1940s Suits Fashion
I am very happy with this outfit. It looked fresh in the summer heat and felt comfortable too. A unique piece and yet a classic and timeless one too.  . . .The best of both worlds I suppose. . .