Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Through the Tulips in a Late 30s Look




Today was the start of three days worth of Tulip Time Parades and it was beautiful. Not to hot, not too cold. Not only that but it was not a Stem Fest this year like in years past. The tulips were simply beautiful and it was a grand opportunity to get some garment pictures of my late 30s, early 40s look too. I got in a lot of pictures and so did many others too. I think there are more pictures of me taken by complete strangers than my Grandma and Grandpa who, I should mention, very kindly took some of me today. Thank you!!


This was a late 30s, early 40s Simplicity pattern I picked up at my favorite antique mall. I really liked the dress and jacket combination as it had a suit feel to it but was more casual since it had a dress to it. Actually, the dress and jacket combination has been a look I have been wanting to explore so it was a great find for me. For this look, I started with the dress out of a pink floral with hints of green and other light colors. The dress came together so well, well, except for the neckline.

The Original Pattern and Fabrics, a Floral Cotton and Pink Linen

I knew that the neckline gathered at the center front and that I thought I had figured out until I took a closer look. I made a little “boo- boo” but it was easily corrected. Next were the sleeves which came together really well. And I quite like them too.


The skirt was the skirt . . . not much to say about that really. Overall, this is a really simple dress that I feel confident that I can style many different ways with different colors. Today, I chose my spectators, new straw hat, and my new-ish bag. I love this little thing and bought it just for this look. The bag too came from my favorite antique mall: Lakeshore Antiques.


I also wore my little wooden shoe necklace. I love this little thing and am so glad I got it. I found it at War's End shop and got the second to last one (well, there were only two). It came from Hamburg, Germany and was brought over to the states by a couple in 1938. Since then it wandered the states nd eventually found it's way to me. Not the greatest picture but take my word, they are too cute.




Next, the jacket. This was such an easy jacket and I really like the shape of it too. It is both structured yet flowing. I think the best part of this jacket turned out to be the part I was dreading. The sleeves! You see, normally when I set my sleeves, I gather the cap to fit . . .even when the pattern calls for darts.


This time, I sucked it up and did the darts. I did press and starch them to get them smooth, that was the key to their success I am sure. I will admit that I was apprehensive about them but I think they turned out great. An interesting detail about this jacket are the pockets. I thought they would be functional for sure but believe it or not, they are not. The pattern gave, and recommended, faux pockets. I think they are kind of cute too.
What a fun day today! I really enjoyed sporting this look and it just screamed spring time. The lightness of the cotton dress paired with the linen jacket was too ideal for today. By the way, if you see this look anywhere else, remember you saw it here first.


Oh yes, I must show off what my mum was doing! She has this incredible display of vintage and antique sewing machines and was showing them off all this week. Her collection is wonderful and how she presents them is beautiful. I like to think I got my talent from her. Love you mom.