Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A 30s Style Knit Dress




Almost all of this month, I had been looking forward to attending my very first vintage market. I counted the weeks, days, and then hours. . . only to be utterly crushed upon arrival. Instead of vintage goodies, there were soaps, tote bags, and everything modern. . . Of the maybe 30 vendors, only 4 or 5 actually had anything vintage. . .and that was where I did most of my shopping. I did take home a 50s hat (from a soap vendor of all places) and some 40s/ 50s printed linens. With that said, I was hoping that this post would be a bragging one about all the great things I found but instead this will be a garment post more than anything . . .




To this event, I wore a 30s style knit dress that I found a month or so a go before blueberry season started. I love this dress! When I first saw it, I did not know if I wanted it or not but the more I thought about it, the more I began to like it. Once I bought it and wore it, I was so glad I took that baby home! I love the color, the easy wear ability, and it is so soft too.






Even nicer yet, this dress goes with the new I hat bought to go with it. The hat came from a different place entirely but they make a lovely match don't they? Also with the hat and dress, some green screw back earrings, a small flower pin, and my ivory peep toe wedges, a 40s pair of shoes. For gloves, I went back and forth with what to wear but I settled on a pair of 30s style white crochet ones.


For this dress as a whole, I call this a 30s style knit dress because this dress is actually a 60s dress, not one actually made in the 30s. So, that is why I do not call this a 30s dress. What gives this dress nice 30s lines is the length of the skirt and the cut and shape of the sleeves and body I think. This dress also has very good drape and flow to it. Below, some examples of some 30s knitted dresses:
source
source
Although these knit dress images are not quite like mine, these knitted dresses came in all sorts of styles, the variety is almost endless . . .
I think what really surprised me about this dress is how light it is. The weight of this dress makes it ideal for summer, spring, or even the fall. Personally I cannot wait to wear this dress more and style it a little bit differently. Oh, and the fiber? it's rayon!



This dress was so easy to wear too. Although there are buttons down the front of the whole dress, only the bodice has functional buttons and there is elastic in the waist. To throw this dress on, I slip it over my head and done. So easy to throw on and I think it looks great too. Better yet, I think this dress has some great potential to be a travel dress - no wrinkling to speak of here.