Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Quite a New Look . . . A Dress and Jacket


I have been wanting to play around with the look of a dress and a jacket worn on top because it looks so easy and classically 40s. For this attempt, I chose to try my floral square necked dress and my basic black jacket on top from my black suit. I thought that these two garments harmonized reasonable well together and worked well to make a whole new outfit. Personally, I think this is a lovely fall and early winter look. The colors of the dress say fall and the extra layer of the jacket says autumn warmth.  Putting this outfit together, I was stumped on the neckline. You see, the square neckline of the dress I thought did not work too well with that of the jacket and I needed a solution to that. Enter, the silk scarf.
1940s Lutterloh outfit

1940s fashion
The silk scarf was an idea that I liked from my Der Goldene Schnitt books and you can see it worn in many coat neckline and even in the neckline of some of the dresses. I think this is an excellent winter and fall item as it look so charming and is nice and warm too. The other elements to complete this look were a quirky cat pin, my first ever 40s tilt hat, spectators, and pearl drop earrings.
Now on to documenting the scarf . . below I have two examples from my Der Goldene Schnitt books each from 1941. Although the look of the scarf is documented to the early years of the war, the look I made with the jacket and skirt is a mid to late war look based on fashion magazines and photographs.

1940s German fashion
Here is another example with a dress . . .

So far I think I am going to like this scarf thing and it even adds a touch of authenticity to making a German look. Comparing American, French, and German fashion ads, photographs, and the like, I see this look of having a scarf tucked and fluffed into a neckline in more German sources than I do anything else. Why this is I am not too sure. . .