Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

April Showers . . .



The past week has consisted of rain, rain, and more rain which has inspired today’s post title. And this look too because, as we all know, April showers bring May flowers. Or floral cottons that is. With that said, with a break in the rain, I had to take advantage of it.
1940s Lutterloh makes

This floral shirtwaist was made with a Lutterloh pattern that you have already seen but this time I made it up in a floral cotton print and added a box pleat to the center front skirt. To bring out the yellow in the print, I added yellow bias tape to the sleeves and the skirt. Part of my reasoning for adding this trim was because I had to piece this dress together at the skirt hem. I knew I was going to be short on material for this one in the skirt so to hide my piece work, I added the yellow to conceal the seam and to make it really work, I added the tape to the sleeves. The sleeves were not pieced together. I am particularly fond of the buttons too I should add. They are yellow four leaf shaped clovers. Such fun buttons really. I chose to remake this pattern for this project because I needed a simple pattern to play with. I made this dress last summer actually and needed a simple project in a fun print. Also, one cannot have too many shirtwaists . . . .
1940s Lutterloh makes

All of this rain inspired me to choose this collar in particular to 'update' this dress (I have worn it a great deal actually since it was made). I thought the floral swirling and rhinestones almost mimicked rain drops in spring time. Although the collar may seem a touch too formal for this simple cotton shirtwaist, I think it adds something quite fun and charming.

Since it was still a little breezy and chilly out, I wore a vintage yellow sweater that goes almost perfectly with the dress. Instead of nylon stockings, knee socks. For the sun? My original sun glasses of course. I think the glasses are from the 50s more than they are the 40s but I love them very much. Who doesn't want to wear gold glitter cat eye shades on a day like this?

 
1940s Lutterloh makes
How could I not mention my handsome Harold? He is such a picture hog sometimes although today he was not too keen on the camera. My sister did manage one really good one though and this one I may have to print and frame. I have to mention too that he helps with many of my projects, including this one. Quite frankly some of my projects are not complete unless there is some 'fur trim' sewn in . . .