Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Along the Shores of Lake Michigan



1940s play clothes


Just before our season begins, my folks and I have a small holiday up North. It is the perfect opportunity to get away before the chaos begins and it is a chance to relax and enjoy the earthy character of Northern Michigan. We have been coming up here for years and it is a great place to fish and find some antiques, treasures, etc. This year, I found some great magazines, table cloths, and some bobs of jewelry. All welcomed additions to my growing hoard of treasure.  Also, while we are up, we make a point of seeing the beaches and the surrounding bodies of water. Although we are not swimmers, we still enjoy a stroll along the shores of Lake Michigan . . .
1940s play clothes

1940s play clothes


To take advantage of my gorgeous surroundings, I had my mum take some pictures of my playsuit and flowered swim cap. It was a look that begged to be done on a beach. I made this playsuit a long time ago from some fabric I found at an antique market. I think that this fabric is original to the period given the colors, weave, and its character. It was in great shape and sewed very, very, well. I also made a skirt and blouse out the same material. When I found this material, I was originally stumped as to what to do with it. It was after I showed off the fabric that I was suggested a playsuit and I agreed. This material was so loud and fun it needed to be something fun. That began my hunt for a playsuit pattern. I eventually found one at a doll show of all places and it was a grand find.

1940s play clothes
Looking for a handsome sailor . . .


1940s play clothes
Still looking for that sailor . . .


1940s play clothes
Ah -Ha! I think I found one!


1940s play clothes
Ooopps. Sorry Mum, false alarm. Well, I tried.


The play suit was interesting to make with the front being gathered into the waistband and the sleeves and shoulders one in the same. The shorts are pleated into the waist band. The whole suit is in one piece and buttons down the front. The buttons on the top are a red, originals, and for the shorts, some little pearl ones. You cannot see the short buttons because they are hidden by a placket. Although I made this suit years ago, I remember that the shorts were tricky. All the pleats, folds, etc. threw me for a loop but the end result was worth it.
1940s play clothes


The flowered swim cap. . .  my mum found this for me in a catalog and thought it would make a great Christmas present. Boy did it! I was thrilled to get it and it was so gosh darn cute. The little flowers are individually applied and can be “ruffled”. The cap covered all my hair, ears, and some of my neck as well. Although this cap was meant to keep water out and hair dry, by the time I took this cap off my hair was wet with sweat. No matter though, the cap was too fun. When I wore this for these pictures it certainly turned heads. It is just something one does not see often. I even think this cap was just meant to go with this playsuit! The material is flowered and has so many of the same colors.
1940s play clothes


To top off this summer outfit, some gold glitter sun glasses. I think that these are late 40s, early 50s but they really work with this look I think. The gold picks up the yellow in the suit and cap. These are my favorite sun glasses and I wear them with everything.
1940s play clothes
1940s play clothes