Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

40s Buttons and Their Many Uses





Big or small, plain or extravagant, 40s buttons came in such an assortment to suit any garment or craft. Studying period advertisements and photographs, buttons were common and very popular. For good reason too. In an era of rationing and austerity, a fun set of buttons, either decorative or functional, could enliven a sad frock or a sorry suit. Buttons were also a budget friendly option that could be re used over and over. I am surprised too at how many styles 40s buttons came in. Some of them can even be found today in a typical big box store. I guess some things never go out of style. Buttons of all kinds can even be easily found in antique malls or thrift stores. An open eye can yield all kinds. . .and an open mind. I used to be terribly picky about my buttons but as of late have started to collect some really odd ones  . . .Well, by my standards anyway. I don’t mind it either as I can buy them rather cheaply. That, and can always have a use for them later if not right away sometimes. The ones that I love to find are the button and buckle sets. Those are a great find and can really complete an outfit without too much fuss. I always save those for my special frocks.  . . .


For me, buttons are a great way to update an old or outdated garment and I am an avid collector of them. Although I know I have too many, I always seem to lacking that “just right button” to complete whatever it is I am working on. Other times, I fashion a whole dress around the buttons just to use a special set of them up. On some of my dresses, I have used colorful, period plastic ones and applied them as singles or even as doubles like on one of my cotton shirtwaists or my “Boat Dress”. Single line all the way down or even double breasted, buttons can be applied in so many ways.



Buttons can even be used as earrings like shown in some of the period adds. All that is needed is a screw back blank and some glue . . .Oh, and a couple of buttons of course. Sewing or crafting, buttons in the 40s found many uses.