Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Velvets


Velvet may not come to mind right away when it comes to 40s textiles but they were in use and created some gorgeous designs too.  I want to take a closer look at the use of velvet in 40s fashion. the most common fiber for velvet was the ever versatile rayon. Light weight, and able to hold color well, velvet made some lovely winter or fall dresses. Below, some research documenting the use of an under represented fabric: velvet.

The first piece of evident here of the use of velvet here is this advertisement featuring three different velvet frocks. I love how they took advantage of the soft drape of the material using gathers.


Another example here, this time a photograph. how do we know this frock is in velvet you ask? Simple. Velvet has a really distinct texture and sheen to it, especially rayon, that a camera actually picks up really well. Here you can see the shine and texture in the folds of her skirt that gives it away that this is a velvet dress. If you take a close look at the ad too, you will gain see that distinct sheen.
Not only was velvet used in dresses, but hats too were fashioned out of velvet or else made use of velvet detailing. Besides being used at the main textile, don't forget that ribbons, covered buttons, and other dainty such elements were done in velvet too to make more lively rather plain garments.

Evidence in textual form can be seen in this Lutterloh  illustration. through my rather poor translation, I found that this particular one was suggested to be made up with a  silk skirt and velvet, or a velveteen, top. Another Lutterloh design, which I had made up in a navy sheer, that was suggested to be made in velvet was this one:
I actually made this one up, you can see it here

 Mulling over what to make your next winter dress out of ? How about velvet? Although I have not worked my own 40s dress in velvet yet, I am happy to say that I do own an original. Hopefully, I will share that soon with you. There is something very unique to a 40s velvet dress as the textile alone evokes luxury, yet is documented to have lived in a time of austerity. . .