Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

The Start of Some Winter Wools . . . .



Going through my current wardrobe, I found myself needing some vintage pieces and outfits more appropriate for the winter chill. Although I did have an abundance of suits to pick from and ample selection of coats, I needed some dresses and some separates too of course. To kick off my winter wardrobe build, I started with a color blocked wool dress from 1941. What attracted me to this one was that high necked, pointed bodice with Victorian flare. Since I did not have enough wool to make a whole dress out of one color, I had to cobble this one together out of two different wools, a navy plaid and a brown. Thankfully they went together very well because the plaid (which you can’t see in the picture) is the same shade of brown I used for the center front and back panels.
40s Lutterloh


Below, the original illustration:
40s Lutterloh


Besides figuring how to cut out what pieces out of what fabric in an economical fashion, this was a fun dress to make. Assembling the bodice was easy to do and I top stitched the pieces for an added detail. Working the center front was a little tricky because I wanted it to have functional buttons. For my buttons here, I chose some brass looking ones. A nice pop to a rather dark dress. For the skirt, I did not scale out a pattern for it. Instead I free handed it and I think it turned out o.k., not great though in my opinion. The sleeves I chose from another pattern.
40s Lutterloh

40s Lutterloh

To go with this outfit, I chose my brown pumps, a white collar, and a cameo to complete my look. In the original illustration, the collar is the same color as the dress and is built in. I wanted a detachable collar for some accessory fun. A separate collar can add a lot of character and flexibility to any look I think. Looking at this dress, I think a jabot would look nice too . . .hmmm . . . another tutorial or post?
I hope that is will be one of many wool dresses for the winter and fall. Here where I live, a wool dress is actually a good idea for any point in the year really. Wools are easy to wear, sew, and even care for. I do have a nice stash of some wool plaids and a large piece of some lovely green wool that I was going to make into a Civil War dress. BUT! Since I love the material so much, I figured it would be a shame to make it into one dress to be worn only once (twice a year if lucky) so, many 40s and 30s dresses to be worn many times would be better. Much better. Out of the green wool, I already have two dresses made out of it and I will have to get those up here soon.  . . or eventually. . . so stay tuned.  . .