Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

The Cost of Vintage



I have only been buying and wearing vintage for about five years now and in that relatively short amount of time I have noticed quite a jump in the price and cost of vintage. When I bought my first pieces, I remember paying only a couple of bucks . . .  such as a dollar for a pair of gloves and around $20.00 for a pair of shoes. Hand bags? Only a few dollars and nothing more. Today? That same pair of gloves is more like $10.00, the shoes at $50, and the handbag? Don’t even ask. Even recently, I put in a bid on ebay for a lot of stockings and garter belts that I was certain was going to be un-beat. What do you know? The next morning I found that I had been considerably out bid! I was so surprised because a couple of years ago my bid would have been the winning bid as so few actually look for suck items. Not anymore though. So, if I want a particular lot, I have to take out the big bucks (even on a lot that used to be small bucks) So, why the price hike, especially for used clothes (because at its core, that is what vintage is – used clothes).

I have a sneaking suspicion that this price jump is explained by supply and demand. The wearing of vintage clothing is not a new phenomenon, in fact it’s been a practice for years. As a result, so many people have already taken much vintage out of the market leaving what we have left today. As a result, if more people continue to buy vintage and more people continue to get into vintage, all of those individuals are now fighting for the same few pieces left. Also, clothes made in the 40s and then bought today exist only in limited numbers. . . . you can’t just make more vintage (I mean sure, you can make a good reproduction but it’s not the original . . .). So if wearing vintage has been around awhile and there is only so much out there, the cost will rise especially if there are people still interested in it.

Besides simple supply and demand, there are those certain items that are incredibly desirable for whatever reason. Sometimes it’s the designer, the color, the materials, etc. If an item is rare, unusual, and desirable, that will cause the price of that particular item to rise considerably, even more if there is a bidding war on it (like my stocking lot). Other factors that lead to the higher cost of a vintage item are the size and condition of the item. Today, larger sized are in demand and there are only so many larger sizes out for vintage. The result, then, is clear – the price of that item will go up. Higher quality items carry a steeper price tag too. Not many people will pounce on a dress that is ripped, stained, and has a distinct mystery odor to it. So, if you know for sure you want a quality item, be prepared to pay that higher price tag.

So, if you are at all feeling discouraged about going vintage shopping because you think you can’t afford it, don’t! I can’t afford the more expensive tags but I still go vintage shopping because I always know that whatever I buy will be an investment. Like said before, vintage is in high demand but in rather low supply,  which means that whatever vintage I have in my own collection has only risen in value since I originally bought it. That means my dollar pair of gloves, if in good condition, can be sold for $10.00 and that money can be put towards new vintage.

What if you have no vintage? That’s o.k. too. I recommend buying the items that YOU love. Buy a few key, staple, classic pieces that can be worn will all your vintage. Gradually build your collection – my own collection started off super small . . it takes time to build a complete and functioning vintage wardrobe. Also, don’t get caught up in fads, remember, buy the pieces that YOU know you love. Those are the pieces that you will want to keep a life time. What if your tastes change? No problem, sell them and put those funds towards new vintage. You could also pass them on to a vintage loving friend too. I have done that before and it makes their day.

In the end, the cost of vintage will rise, along with everything else, but don’t let that discourage you. Choose your pieces wisely and the pieces that no longer work for you, sell them. Don’t always think you will get caught paying the high prices either, there will be times when you find a great deal, and when you do, go for it! Especially if it’s got you written all over it.