Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Flared Jacket Suit in Green Wool



1940s Lutterloh makes

With all the rain we have been getting, paired with the warmth, everything is popping. The leaves, the flowers, and especially  the tulips! With that said, I had to take advantage of the day and squeeze in a photoshoot of an outfit I made over the winter. This look really came together quite fast. The skirt was simple and the jacket almost put itself together. I think this will become a wardrobe staple for me as I can wear the skirt on its own with many blouses. The jacket is so easy to wear too.
1940s Lutterloh makes


Something new, something different. That is how I would describe this new, and rather unusual suit. I say suit because it is a matching skirt and jacket set. There is not much to say about the skirt as it is an A line pencil skirt but the jacket really sets this look apart. Not the tailored, more traditional look associated with the 40s, this particular jacket features the squared shoulders but is quite flared in the back and front to create an easy, yet sharp look. Personally, I love this look. There is just something about it, yes? Paired with this suit, I chose a blouse I made last year for another unusual suit look that was a skirt and cape combination. You can see that blouse and that outfit more here.
1940s Lutterloh makes
The original illustration


The original illustration, from 1940, really caught my eye but I knew I did not want to do it in plaid like illustrated. I thought it would look too busy and be too much plaid. With that said, I opted for a solid. Now, the next question was what color? This was actually an easy one to answer because I a lot of this light green wool at my disposal, so guess what I used? As for the blouse, I really like it however there was no pattern for it. I think I can draft one no problem from a basic blouse pattern so stay tuned for that feature. Until then . . .  
1940s Lutterloh makes


Making this look was really easy really. The skirt was just an A line Pencil skirt and the jacket was so much fun. The back is smooth, no yoke, but cut with a slight flare to it. The front is where all the fun is. Set into a yoke, the lower body pieces are gathered into it and then I top stitched them to set the stitching.
1940s Lutterloh makes

The collar was fun, even though I had to do it twice. There is a nice pop to it, yes? I like the curve it has. I top stitched the edges of the collar and I also top stitched the back of the collar to get it to stand up more. I did not line this look. Instead I finished the hem lines with rayon hem tape and pressed, pressed, pressed. I wanted to keep this jacket as light as possible.
1940s Lutterloh makes


Paired with this look, I chose my sea shell jewelry, which I showed you first here. Also with this look are my new alligator pumps from Royal Vintage (product review coming soon) and a straw tilt hat. I chose to use earthy tones and browns with this look because of the unique shade of green wool I chose. By the way, I love this material. It’s a light weight wool that when held up to the sun is almost (barely) sheer.
1940s Lutterloh makes
Overall, a very gorgeous day that I am glad I took advantage of. I was so concerned with missing the tulips but now I am not too worried as there are many more yet to come. Which means, hopefully, a few more garment posts in beautiful Centennial Park.
1940s Lutterloh makes