Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A Lavender and Lace Night Gown and Robe Set





I found everything to make this set from yard sales or antique stores. The pattern and lace came from two antiques malls, the material, a yard sale deal. I love the material for this set, it’s so soft and breathable. Better yet, it feels very much like an original night gown in my collection. The pattern was a great find and was my first night wear pattern. As for the lace, I found it a long time ago but saved it and saved it for the right project. Found the project I guess! I have yet to wear this but with the summer heat getting closer and closer, I think this will be quite a welcomed addition to my wardrobe.
The gown underneath the robe


When I was making this set up, I realized that I was not going to have enough material for the neckbow on the robe featured in the pattern so I omitted it here. I also was not going to have enough for the sleeves either but remedied that by adding a wide strip of the lace to the top of the sleeve. To bring the rest of the lace in, I added it to the shoulder, collar, hem, and made frilly cuffs.



With what I had left, I cut it up into pieces retaining the little flowers. Using those little bits, I concentrated them on the back of the robe working their way up to the top where they get more and more scattered. All of the lace applique was done by hand. After all of that applique my hands were sore. But, I think the end result was definitely worth it. Right now, I left the center font without buttons or snaps but now that I look at it, I may add some little pearl buttons. Originally, I planned on leaving it open while wearing but now I think a little something would not hurt.




The gown under the robe was easy to make up and the sweetheart neckline was so sweet indeed. At the back, is a low scoop and a bow to snug up the waist. I finished the seams of this with run and feld seams and hand finishing. The lace at the shoulder was hand applied. The neckline and armholes were finished with bias self- fabric binding.

lace insert on gown sleeve cap