Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A Little Bit of Joan Crawford . . . .




Joan Crawford really knew how to dress and now I can say I have a little bit of Joan Crawford in my closet now. . .Now, this green suit is not one of hers but once this suit grew on me, that was the only thing I could think of. Today, I offer you a green 40s style suit that to me evokes the glamorous Joan Crawford. . . Enjoy!




 Well, when I first ordered it, I was convinced it was a 40s original based on the description and pictures. . .Upon actually getting it and handling it I found it was an 80s suit most likely based on the feel of the lining. I have many 40s originals already (but want more - don't judge me) and 40s suits have a 'feel' to them. The linings are soft to the touch, shoulder pads firm, and the fabric . . well it depends on the fabric. For this suit, the shoulder pads were definitely firm (and very big), and material was nice, and the lining like a firm synthetic - not soft to the touch like my originals. I was a little disappointed to be honest and was slightly horrified when I tried it on. My first impulse was that it was too large but after I made my adjustments I began to like this suit more and more. . .
What were the adjustments? Well . . .I noticed right away that the sleeves and bottom hem of the jacket were much too long on me but thankfully the fit in the body was nice. At least I knew the fixes were minor and I hemmed the sleeves and the jacket hem and moved to the skirt. The skirt too was too big at the waist band but that too was a simple fix. The next day I ran a long seam down the back, pressed it and tacked the folded edge over (I did not want to do any cutting). Although I had to do some minor adjustments, this is a well made suit (and now it fits me well too).




I tried on a few hats . . . a few pins . . . furs . . . paired with a few other accessories and gradually I began to really like this suit . . .This one grew on me. . .I think what made me like this suit more and more was once trying it on and seeing the line of the shoulder, it reminded me of Joan Crawford's suit . . . For today's post, I chose to pair this suit with black. An original hat, gloves, jacket, corde bag, and muff. The shoes are original as well and I think date to the late 30s given the shape of the toe and heel.





I adore Joan Crawford's style . . .feminine, masculine, powerful, a hint of bad a