Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A Thicker Stocking


To say that 40 stockings came only in delicate, sheer nylon would be inaccurate. In fact,  there are examples of cotton stockings that are much thicker (but not too thick) and more appropriate for those colder months. I first hear of these stockings in a 40s fashion book and of course I cannot completely remember the title. Since then, I have been on the search for said stockings. I found my first pair from War's End Shop. These were cotton/ wool blend, brown in color, and went up to the knee. They did not stretch much. Much like a modern sock almost in style. After owning and studying an original pair, I have been on the search for other similar stockings and alternatives too in the modern world. Enter, tights. Believe it or not, I have been quite successful in finding modern tights that, on the surface and unbeknownst to the critical eye, look very much like period cotton stockings.
Before I get onto the alternative, here is an original illustration featuring these knee high stockings:
What I find to be particularly fun about these is there color: bright red. Not only that, but they match her outfit. What a grand idea, yes?
Another piece of evidence supporting these knee high, thicker stockings can be seen below:
These appear to be white in color but textured. What exactly is the pattern here? That I do not know but I imagine that a search into period knitting patterns may give a better idea (that and how to recreate them).

From these two images, it would appear that younger women may have sported these but I do not know if that would have been a solid rule or not. That is something that deserves more research. From the pages of Der Goldene Schnitt, this is a look common with the young and there are a couple with more mature women wearing them too but it is still not a solid yes or no who can and cannot wear them.   

Now we have some of the 'technical' stuff out of the way, we can talk alternatives. Of course, if authenticity is your game, use the originals. They are out there and very reasonably priced too. If you want a more modern alternative for what ever reason, you can find them almost anywhere really. Look for natural colors or else documented colors (like the red above). Look for some with a texture to them (Stay clear of the stretchy solid colored tights that toddlers wear and have the feeling of modern nylons). You can find some good ones at Aerie, Target, and the like. 100% cotton is a plus if you can find them . .  . Prints or stripes? I have not seen documentation for those yet . .