Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A Plaid, Cotton Jumper


This was a look I made up and photographed a long time ago but had yet to put it up. So far, this look has been very comfortable and quite casual. Made from a 1940 Pattern, this look was also in my 1941 book as well. Done in two pieces, the blouse and jumper, these garments are very interchangeable. When I made this look, I wanted something for the fall that evoked the fun colors that just greet you all at once here in Michigan, this colorful plaid, I thought, was just right. So far, this look is so comfortable and easy to wear. So far, I have worn this jumper with two blouses, different shoes, and lots of different bits of jewelry total for oodles of flexibility.  Below, the original pattern:
Although I was in love with both of them, I chose the model on the right to start with because I loved how the print illustrated inspired me to make use of the plaid cotton in my stash. The scoop of the neckline was interesting as well in that it was rather deep and offered itself to a fun platform for different bows, necklaces, and pins.
To finish this look, I chose brown textured buttons and a blue/ green buckle to highlight the blue/green in the plaid. For the button holes, instead of doing them on the machine, I worked all my button holes by hand, have to keep those skills in shape you know . . .

Although there were many colors I could have picked from and play with, I wanted something that would give a little unusual pop and this blue/ green buckle was just the ticket. I love color contrasts when they are subtle.

For the blouse, I used a white cotton and used a fine cotton trimming to go down the center font alongside the placket sides. Although I am sure buttons were used in the illustration, I chose snaps for my example because of the green bows at the neck. So that I could wear one large bow or even a brooch with this look, my little green bows are actually very removable. I fashioned little bows and then stitched little safety pins on the back of them . . easy to take on and off, yes?