Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

A Practical 40s Piece: The White Cotton Apron




Aprons are possibly the unsung heroes of fashion. They are always there in almost every woman's kitchen closet yet are seldom featured or toted as the ultimate fashion piece. Aprons protect what is underneath, keeping any house dress or blouse from spoil and toil. Aprons keep fresh the lady at work with minimal effort and aprons can come in any size, style, color, or print. Today, I offer you a very practical 40s piece: an apron fashioned out of white cotton.
This is a Lutterloh make I made a long time ago and completely by hand. I made this apron as a simple hand sewing project to relax and unwind and to try a very practical Lutterloh pattern too. Today, this is a 1941 Lutterloh make. Below, you can see the original illustration (look all the way to the right). Pictured are three different aprons which hints at that immense popularity these kinds of garments had. Meant to protect the dress, a lady may have multiple aprons ready at her disposal.


Fashioned out of plain white cotton, it is edged in white cotton white work and trimming all applied by hand. The apron covers the most of the front and fastens in the back with two pearl buttons. This apron was rather long on me once I tried it on so at the lower edge, a tuck to take in the apron skirt without doing any real alterations. The tuck also looks rather cute too.

The straps are not adjustable, I did not like the idea of fussy strap for this look in particular because I wanted to keep it relatively clean looking.


I have gotten this apron plenty dirty since I have made it and so far it has proven itself to be a real winner. Typically, I am not much of an apron wearing person - I just do not think to put on one - but I may have to start to change my tune.
Anyway, there you have it. A crisp, white cotton apron fit for the country side and a most practical 40s pieces too.