Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Orange you glad it's Spring?: A Rust, Linen Waistcoat





Orange you glad it’s spring? I know I am and that means more garment posts. The main reason, maybe the only reason, many of you even tune into this blog . . .maybe. When these shots were taken, it was simply beautiful. The sun was shining, it was reasonably warm out . . .but not thatwarm out.
It really was just right to show of a new Lutterloh make, one made in orange or rust colored linen. This is just one of my many pieces that I have made for spring this year. To come yet are some more dresses and separates. All of my pieces were inspired by my Dutch ancestry. Tulips, windmills, and orange are just some of things I was inspired by. I am also excited for this warmer weather so that I can wear my new shoes from Royal Vintage. Stay tuned for a product review . . .  Anyway, on to the waistcoat:


Today, a waist coat from 1941. This is another unique separate piece that so far I have gotten a lot of wear out of. I have worn it with a matching orange rust skirt, which I will feature at a later date, and this green checked skirt. This piece was actually an after -thought. From this linen, I first made a dress, then a skirt, and from the remaining scraps, this.
The Original Illustration: Figure B

The waist coat was pretty easy to assemble and the facings finished it off quite well too. I did make a few minor style/ fit changes to the neckline which you can see in my pictures. Once I had the facings in, I finished off the bottom edge with a simple hem. I did not line this one like I did my first waistcoat because I was not happy with it. Besides, I think the lightness of the linen here simply required it be faced. For some finishing touch, I prick stitched all the way around the armholes, neckline, and pockets for texture. The pockets are not functional, they are just decorative. The buttons are interesting to note. I found these years ago from I don’t even remember and they are old cut or etched metal ones.  The pockets here are faux. I made these from sewn rectangles, ends finished, and prick stitched in place. There are two at the waist line and one at the breast.
Since it was a touch of chill in the air, a green wool sweater was a nice addition.




I have found this piece to be very versatile too and have worn it with many blouses already. I ought to admit that my ruffled blouse is my favorite with it. I love how the ruffle and the sleeves have that 30s excessiveness to them. Not only can I wear with this my different blouses, the color lends itself to many color pairings. Greens, creams, navies, browns, etc.



With this new piece, I paired it with another former Lutterloh make, the skirt and my classic go-to: a long length creamy wool coat and felt bonnet. To make this look a spring look, I added a corsage of velvet, paper, and cotton foliage. This floral piece was actually pulled of one of my Civil War bonnets that I decided to retire and re vamp. I loved the flowers and instead of dooming them to a box, I thought why not keep wearing them? I love their definition and texture.


For jewelry, I could not resist to wear my white rose set of screw back earrings and brooch. This was a nice set I got in Northern Michigan in a large antique mall. These were an exciting find because they came in their original box with the original store labeling still on the bottom of the box. Is that not exciting?

Of the shoes. I am so thrilled about these new shoes and they came from Royal Vintage. A place I have been wanting to check out for some time. Although I will be talking about these more in-depth later, I have to say now that they go with everything.  Naturally, I wore them