Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Knitted Suit for Autumn Thrills



vintage winter wear


As of late, leaves, rain and snow have begun to fall and there has been a distinctive chill in the air. The kind of chill that reminds me that is now here to linger for a while. When the weather begins to settle into this set, I long for cozy woolen dresses and skirts, tailored suits and coats, and trim sculpted hats. I also have a desire to look for knitted goods to add to me vintage look that tends to lean towards the 40s more than anything else. A few months back, I can across the ultimate vintage knitted kind in the back of a closet at an estate sale: a knitted suit! Fashioned out of blue with a vibrant trimming of geometric shapes in teal, white, red, yellow, black, and an assortment of greys, I think this suit is really incredible. My mom on the other hand does not agree too much but that this the beautiful thing about vintage, it has a beauty all its own in its own unique way.
vintage winter wear

vintage winter wear

vintage winter wear


This truly incredible ensemble is, I think, form the 30s or 40s and although somewhat faded along the jacket shoulder, is in incredible, very wearable, condition. I cannot knit or crochet so when I want that knitted garment, I have to find it and I most certainly did here. Luckily for me, this suit fits me beautifully and was right in my budget (even better yet, yes?). This is also another great find for me too because I have a distinctive soft spot or suits, and here is a knitted suit! The best of two worlds really.
vintage winter wear

vintage winter wear

vintage winter wear


So far I have not really worn it too much because I have been working on getting that famous “estate smell” smell out and although it was a bit of an uphill battle, I think I have the bulk of it out. Reflecting on it. That really is the only flaw, besides the fading, to this little outfit. The buttons are all there, the loops are intact and the belt is there too (although it is stitched in place). As a whole, this is possibly the best piece of vintage knit wear I own because it is so large, is in three pieces: the skirt, the jacket, and the belt to tie it all together. How often does one find something like this?
vintage winter wear

vintage winter wear


vintage winter wear

vintage winter wear


So far, I am quite happy with this find and have worn it here and there. It is quite warm too I will add and looks well with most of my white blouses. I think in the future I may try to pair it with some other colored ones like a red or even a yellow. As for hats, for this time, I paired it with a small navy one and I have plans for a more fitting one I found in my copy of “Made and Mend for Victory”. Other elements, a red beaded necklace and red screw back earrings.