Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Coming Soon: Free Pattern Fridays





If you are like me then you like history and a good pattern too . . . For me, I thoroughly enjoy the combination of the two and the patterns found in Der Goldene Schnitt offer both history, fascinating patterns, and an abundance of potential. Instead of According to Der Goldene Schnitt, which I think has run its course, I will be offering a free pattern to you from the pages of Der Goldene Schnitt about once a month . . . on a Friday of course! What better way to start a weekend. What kinds of patterns will I be offering to you? Well, a little bit of everything from collars, dresses, suits, children’s wear, men’s wear, coats, jackets, and much more. There are so many patterns in this book, almost 600 excluding all the variations that can be done from them. I hope you are looking forward to this because I certainly am . . .These patterns are almost 75 years old and still as stylish as ever.


The Supplies

Before moving on, I want to cover some small details to make sure that you get the most fun out of these patterns. First, for these patterns, you will need that special Lutterloh rulerto scale out the patterns and you can easily find on online at ebay (they do not cost much), some rulers or yard sticks (a good straight edge is super helpful), fabric (of course), notions, and lots of paper to reproduce these patterns. For getting paper, I use a massive roll of butcher paper from Sam’s Club or else you can get a roll of paper from a craft store. Those rolls of gift wrap paper are also excellent choices and some even have a grid on the back of the paper. For small pattern pieces, regular paper will do. Tape is a nice thing to have too for piecing paper together to achieve making wide pieces like skirts, etc.   I like the scotch tape.



The Materials

The patterns are scaled out to your own special size so in the book, there are no guidelines for determining yardage of your material. All hope is not lost though because you can figure it out (I know you can). First, make your pattern pieces and lay them all out (make sure you have them all!) on a board (or floor section) that is 45 inches wide and very long. Why 45 inches? Because most material is 45 inches wide and by laying out your pattern pieces on a board that mimics the dimensions of your material, you can get a good idea. Once the pieces are in position, how much length did you use up? If you used what looks like 5 yards of length, then buy 5 yards. Keep in mind that is only a rough guide and the best guide really is experience. If you normally make a 40s style dress and you use about 4 yards then for a Der Goldene Schnitt dress, you are probably looking at about 4 yards as well. How about figuring our notions? The best way to figure out how many buttons you need is by looking at the picture. Zippers? Most dresses use a side zipper and if they use anything else, it will be quite obvious.


The Construction

These patterns do not come with instructions . . .you make them up as you go. With that said, there is a lot of trial and error but it all contributes to some good experience under your sewing belt. What is nice about some of the designs is that they are made up just like any other dress, pant, or coat with little variation.

Your Guide
Although I will be offering to you some patterns to be made up at home, I will be your guide. I promise! For each pattern posted, I will offer to you some suggestions on what kinds of materials should be used for the best result as well as what kind of notions (buttons, zippers, poppers, etc.) are needed for each garment. For each pattern too, I will offer to you some construction tips if I think any are needed but I don't think I will do a whole tutorial for it unless it is really necessary. Each pattern post will include too some  hints on cutting and pattern lay out and if anything goes on the fold, needs only to be cut once or twice. Need help with facings? I will offer help on that too as we go along as each pattern will be different.

A Handout
For this series, I have a little hand out for you too to help you along. Of course you are always welcomed to email me at: 
for any questions or ponderings but if not, I will have a nice hand out sheet available complete with a ruler ( a scan of mine actually you can cut out and use), simple diagrams for adding seam allowance, adding facings, and other small things. How does one get this hand out? Simple, email me and I will send you the file (until I can figure out how to put it on here . . . ). When will this sheet be available? Well, I will let you know soon in a special post!