Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Katie's Winter Looks





For my birthday,last year was a grand affair in which I had an opportunity to wear an evening gown I made from a 1940 Lutterloh pattern which you can see here. But, this year, I thought I would show off some pictures of my Great Grandmother in some of her winter furs.  . . .
My Great Grandmother, Kathleen, was a stylish girl in the 40s and I would even say that she had it all too. Today, I want  to take a look at some of the family photos that her children so lovingly saved and gave to me after I wanted a copy of her in the Boas Dress which you can see more of here. I love studying these images because it shows what a real life girl in the 40s was wearing in the winter. And, you ask, what was she wearing in the winter of 1940 - 1943? Well, let me show you all. In the winters of 1940 to 1943 my Grandmother was the proud owner of not only a lovely full length fur coat but a little furry jacket too. See? What did I tell you? She had it all. Not only that but she as a handsome sailor by her side too (That's Great Grandfather, or he will be in 1943 when they marry and a few years later when they have children and then grand children and then great grandchildren . . . well, you get the idea.  . . ).


 I want to show off some her best winter outfits which are the fur coat and jacket photographs. The jacket I am sure was a fluffy mink and I am not so sure about the coat as it looks a little shaggy in some pictures and curly in others. Not pictured, there was another coat of hers that was a black curly lamb coat with mink hat and collar set. Although there are no images documenting this lovely garment, the collar and hat have survived and I own them now with their original box. What makes this set really unique is that the collar is lined in that black curly lamb. Someday I hope to find a coat like what she had to complete the set . . . . Anyway, on to the pictures! All of the pictures were taken in Michigan as far as I know and I know I enjoy looking at these and I hope you do too.  
The original box of the hat and collar set to the right