Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

From 1934 . . .




A few months back I came across this truly lovely 30s dress in my favorite antique mall, Lakeshore Antiques. I loved the color, the texture, and the little details that made it what it was. Not only did the dress maker details capture my heart, but so too did it's history as attached to it was a little scrap of paper . . . On this note from the past was the origin of the dress and it's most important date . . .This dress was worn for a wedding on August 15, 1934 in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Did I buy that dress right there and then? No I did not . . .for one it was a little more than I would normally pay and second I thought it looked way too small for me. . .

Detail of the Ruffles






Time passed and I my eye more than once wandered over  to the biased cut frock with pleated details on the neckline and sleeves . . .the back, buttons. . . .the belt? There in it's most original form . . .