Sabtu, 20 Januari 2018

Broiled Salmon Fillets aux Herbes





Fish, or to be more specific, salmon, plays a large part in our family's diet because my dad loves to fish. . .That means we get plenty of delicious fish in our deep freezer to eat throughout the winter. Having all this salmon allows me to experiment with new recipes too. Last year was  the first time I made this dish and it was one of my dad's favorites. I don't make it often, this is the second time making this for me as we have other favorites as well. This recipe comes from my 1933 'Service Cookbook' by Mrs. Ida Bailey Allen. This particular dish is easy to make (well, when I do it as you will find out) and is quite flavorful. Although the original calls for a flounder, I used a salmon and I think it tastes pretty good. In the future, I may have to try this on a walleye or cod. This dish can serve as many as you need, but it works best with two to three people.
For my first food related post, a salmon broiled (or baked) with butter, salt, pepper, minced onion, lemon juice, parsley, and paprika. Combined, they make a light and yet tasty meal with a little zing to it courtesy of the lemon juice from 1/2 a whole lemon juiced to oblivion and then the other half quartered and baked with the salmon. Paired with this meal, steamed spinach and baked beets.
Just pulled from the oven . . .


For my version of this 1933 recipe, I combined the salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, and lemon juice together in a small bowl and mixed the 'seasonings'/ topping. Once blended, I poured it onto the salmon and poured a very small amount of water in the baking dish. Into the dish, I also threw in the other half of the lemon, quartered, and two small beets, halved.
I baked the dish for the recommended 40 minutes and because my oven is a brat, a little longer to ensure it was cooked through. The beets were still crunchy but that is how we like them here and the salmon flaked apart (which you can see on mine).
The Original Recipe Page. The real recipe is called:
'Broiled Fillet of Flounder aux Herbes'


With the salmon, I added steamed spinach which I threw in a little salt, pepper, butter, and lemon juice. I added the spinach mostly for color.


I also did rolls from a Taste of Home magazine. They are Herbed Popovers and worked with the meal well as a whole. Since it is only dad and me, I half the recipe.


For dessert, banana bread which I made the day before.
Tada! My first food post. How did I do? Let me know and let me know too if you try this recipe.  . .